my name is Mark and here is a page on my Dodge Challenger 340 4
It is finished in Hemi Orange paint with black upholstery. The Challenger
is a matching numbers car and has the original 340 V8 engine with
a Edelbrook Performer carb. The 340 came as standard with the A66
Performance Pack, which included heavy duty suspension, 340 engine
(E55), E60x15 inch raised white letter tires (U82), performance
hood, heavy duty brakes, heavy duty suspension (S13), Bumble Bee
paint stripe (may be deleted), Scat Pack (bee) decal and the wheel
lip moulding were deleted.
A66 was basically an R/T with a small block 340 engine.
Challenger has spent most of it's life in the USA and was imported
to the UK in 2005.
car was fully restored in the States, including a body off restoration
and an engine rebuild. It is in excellent condition.
A service was
carried out by Tornado Automotive. They also fitted a new steering
coupling and 2 new propshaft U/Js.
was smoking on start up, so it was decided to carry out a top engine
rebuild. After taking the heads off, it was clear the valves and
guides were all new so the engine had been rebuild recently. And
the head didn't need skimming either. However the valve stem seals
were missing when the previous rebuild was carried out, so these
A none disignated
side stripe was also fitted. I thought long and hard about it as
it's none original to teh A66, but I think it improves the looks.
I fitted a high
quality Sony stereo to the Challenger, with Pioneer parcel shelf
speakers. Sounds superb!
Christmas arrived and I was given nice new American
Racing alloy centre caps. The look much better than the existing
plastic metalized ones.
I primered and
spray painted the front grill and head lamp surrounds satin black,
as I didn't think the argent silver grill suited the car. 4 coats
of primer and 4 coats of satin black. The head lamp surrounds were
finished in satin black Hammerite to protect them from stone chips.
was taken to Tornado Automotive as there was a fuel leak. This was
caused as the grommet from the fuel pipe to the tank had perished.
A new grommet and sender were fitted and no more leaks. New front
brake lines were also fitted. The drum brakes also had surface corrosion
on them so they were shot blasted and resprayed satin black. The
engine air cleaner was also restored. It looks much better now!
I took the Challenger
to a car show in Surrey called Wheels Day. The car gained lots of
attention and was photograghed and shown in the June edition of
Classic American Magazine.
II took the
Challenger to Brooklands Mopar day, a great car show and and Classic
American magazine again featured the car in it's July edition.
The fuel line
to the carb was replaced, as it was looking old and perished.
I took the Challenger
to Santa Pod for the Mopar Euro Nationals. A great fun day!
I restored the
radiator, as the black paint was peeling off, exposing the metal
beneath. I used wet and dry sand paper to remove the old paint and
then a couple of coats of Frosts radiator paint. It's come up a
treat and makes the engine bay look much better.
I bought some
bigger tyres for the rear of the car, to give the Challenger that
1970s stance. The tyres were 255/60/15s and they just about fitted
on the 15x7 Torq Thrust wheels.
However the car has had new rear quarters fitted during it's restoration
and the inner wheel arch lips were 40mm deep and hadn't been cut
back. So I decided to get this done. The lips were gut back with
a grinder very carefully. Then the old inner wheel arch was spot
weld to the new arch and then sealed with an epoxy resin. Then the
arch was sprayed with a couple a layers of Hemi Orange lacquer and
then clear coat to finish. The car is now done and looks much better
to my eyes!
I fitted some
deeper dish Torq Thrust Classic alloy wheels to the rear of the
car. The size is 15 x 8 -18mm offset and 3.79" back spacing.
Handling was improved and it looks better!
I fitted a new
fuel filter to the car and refilled the coolant with Prestons.
was rebuilt and bigger jets and new needles fitted. A phenolic spacer
was also fitted under the carb to reduce the heat transfer and prevent
the fuel from vapourise in the carb bowl..
The heat issue,
fuel vapour smell and pinking was atribulted to a vacumm leak in
the Carburetor. One of the ports below the carb needed blocking
off. This was done and the car is driving superbly now with much